2018 Queer Holiday Gift Guide
[Image Description: Pastel party decorations and confetti against a mint and white polka dot background.]
Remember, this is the last week to join this year’s gift guide!
This is not just a call for artists, but all queer creators! We want to share your queer businesses, projects, and works. It just takes a quick form telling us about yourself and your work.
And keep an eye out for holiday sales from our very own shop these coming weeks!
Join on our website! bit.ly/MQHGiftGuide
Daria Kerschenbaum is an asexual writer and artist working in New York City. You can follow her on Instagram @Daria_Kersch.
“[…]spinsters were seen as queer, not because they were not mothers or wives, but because they wanted to go into the public sphere and to break the gender boundaries between the private and the public.” — Hellesund Tone (Read Full Article)
Check out all guest authored articles here!
At this time, Making Queer History will be paying guest authors 50 CAD to write an article for the website. We pay using PayPal, so you must have a Paypal account.
We will also link to any social media account on the byline and all social media. We will use your name (does not have to be your legal or birth name) when citing the author. If you do not want your name or social media accounts linked, we are more than happy to accommodate.
Submit an article using the form on our site. For your submission, we ask for:
- The opening paragraph, including a brief summary of what you are writing about and some preliminary information regarding where you plan to go with the article. This must be between 100-500 words.
- All writers must be queer; we want to hire queer artists exclusively. If you are an ally, this opportunity is not for you.
If you’re chosen as a Guest Author, that’s great! Here is what to expect:
- We will need a method to communicate with you as you write your article. While we give you a lot of creative control, we do want a bit of control over the completed content, so be open to edits and critiques. We want to produce the best possible content for our audience, and we’re sure you want to produce the best content to represent yourself.
- Source your article.
- Finished articles should be over 1500 words and follow the basic template of our previous articles. Remember to add a quote if you can find one.
- Include a picture for your article that is in the public domain.
- We will pay at the end of the month through Paypal.
Surprise, Red Patrons!
[Image: White background with a sticker in the center. The sticker is a drawing of a green carnation slightly overlapping a drawing of a violet]
To show how much we genuinely appreciate everyone who supports us, we have a fundraiser exclusive for Red tier patrons too! New red tier patrons will receive a die-cut vinyl sticker with the same floral design featured on all FQH rewards.
Hop on over to our patreon and get yourself some cool rewards!
Often, the history of the queer community can only be found in whispers. When carefully kept records fail, by accident or malice, we must look for ourselves in between the lines of the world around us. Queer people leave a trail of breadcrumbs meant to speak only to others like them; symbols, side notes, carefully crafted sentences. And these breadcrumbs are what define the life of Edward Carpenter. (Read the full article here)